Monday, March 21, 2011

Surfboads, Surfboads, and more Surfboards.

Saturday, we went the the Sacred Craft Expo. It  was an exposition on surfing and equipment. It was busy for a rainy Santa Cruz day, especially since we had some surf hitting the coast. Every booth Elaine and I stopped at had great people working. They were helpful and very friendly. Elaine picked up some jewelry while I got some pointers from Malcolm of Schweizersurf.com on building a wooden surfboard. Malcolm's background was building wooden kayaks and now he has added wooden surfboards. He built a special Robert August wooden surf board with abalone inlay, you can see it here. The boards pictured above are from Kana surfboards, no, they are not related to me. Though I am going to build my first surfboard very soon. It will be faster and easier than the wooden canoe I built about 15 years ago.